I tried Bubble and Squeak for the first time on Boxing Day and I absolutely loved it! I normally hate cabbage and brussel sprouts, but I didn’t even realise the dish had both in it. I then had it again the following day at a Christmas party, but this time it was baked in the oven rather than fried like it traditionally is.
Me and my Mum have been craving bubble and squeak ever since, so when we made our New Year’s Day roast dinner last week we purposely made extra veggies just so we could make it the next day. We also decided to try making an oven-baked one as a healthier alternative too, and served it with the Christmas Style Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- Leftover boiled vegetables – we used sprouts, carrots, swede, parsnips, white cabbage and potatoes
- 25g cheese, optional
1. Mash up all your leftover boiled vegetables
2. Fry the onion and garlic in FryLight Spray for a few minutes until softened
3. Add the veg, mash it all together and season to taste
4. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and top with the grated cheese, then bake for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and browned
Tips and Ideas:
- As well as the vegetables we used, you could also add peas, broccoli, sweet potato, sweetcorn – basically any vegetables you fancy!
- Make bubble and squeak cakes – add an egg, shape into individual cakes, coat in a little flour, then fry in a little vegetable oil
- Add bacon and chipolata sausages
- Top with a fried egg
I am also entering this recipe into this month’s Four Seasons Food challenge from Delicieux and Eat Your Veg. The theme this month is Virtuous Food, and I think this recipe is perfect for that! It’s healthy, low in fat and incorporates all of your 5 a day.