I love spending my time creating new recipes, and I’ll often devote a whole day to just doing this! During the Christmas holidays, this happened almost every day. So over the next few weeks I plan to try out some of my new ideas and share the recipes for those that are a success.
I love pesto and I love gnocchi, so I knew I had to come up with something that combined these two great ingredients. After playing about with the quantities and throwing in a couple of other ingredients too, I managed to create a delicious dish which has become a new favourite of mine. It’s also super quick and simple to make, and it’s easy to alter the ingredients to make it just for one (which I will be doing regularly now I’m back at university!).
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bitesize chunks
- 4-5 tbsp classic basil pesto – add this to taste, you may want to use more or less
- 3-4 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 300g low fat creme fraiche
- 2 400g bags of fresh gnocchi
1. Put a large pan of water on to boil
2. Meanwhile, fry the chicken until fully cooked
3. Stir in the pesto, sun-dried tomatoes and creme fraiche until it’s all combined, and simmer to heat through – at this point we added a roux to thicken the sauce but this is optional
4. Add the gnocchi to the pan of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes until the gnocchi rises to the surface of the water
5. Drain the gnocchi and stir it into the sauce, then serve
Tips and Ideas:
- Use different flavoured pesto, such as Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto or Roasted Pepper Pesto
- Leave out the chicken for a veggie alternative
- Try making your own gnocchi and your own pesto from scratch