I absolutely love risotto, and I’m always more than happy to stand stirring it at an oven for 30+ minutes straight to achieve the perfect risotto (check out my fav recipe for it here). So when I came across a recipe for an oven-baked risotto, it’s safe to say that I was more than dubious. However, I love trying new things so I decided to give it a go anyway.
And I am 100% glad I did!! The risotto was creamy, delicious and super easy! I couldn’t tell the difference between it and a traditionally made one, and I am now converted to oven-baked risotto.
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- 85g risotto rice
- 250ml chicken stock – made using 2 low salt chicken oxo cubes
- 1-2 handfuls of cooked ham/gammon
- Handful of frozen peas
- 1 heaped tbsp Philadelphia cream cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6
2. Fry the onion in the butter for a few minutes until softened, then add the rice and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the stock, bring to the boil and transfer to an ovenproof dish
3. Cover with a lid or foil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through
4. After 20 minutes, add the ham and peas and return to the oven for 5-7 minutes until the peas are cooked
5. Remove the dish from the oven and stir in the cream cheese until all melted in, then serve