I’m still dreaming of these Chicken Enchiladas I had earlier in the week, and I could happily eat them everyday. I’ve made this dish slightly healthier by using mature cheddar cheese as it has more flavour and therefore you don’t need to use as much. Also by making the sauce from scratch you can add more veggies, control the spices and it’s a little healthier than using a jar sauce too.
love Mexican food and this recipe has prompted me to start cooking more Mexican dishes…so watch this space for recipes for burritos, fajitas, chilli con carne, and more!!
- 1 chicken breast, chopped
- 3 tsp paprika
- 250g Passata
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into cubes optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 mini wraps
- 25g mature chedder cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200°C or gas mark 6
2. Fry the onion, garlic and chilli for several minutes until softened, then add the passata, tomato puree, honey and 2 tsp of the paprika. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
3. To a different pan add the chicken, pepper and 1 tsp of paprika, and fry until the chicken is cooked through and the pepper is soft
6. Pour over the remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese, then bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is golden
7. Serve with these sweet potato fries and sour cream
Tips and Ideas:
- Add kidney beans and any other vegetables you want
- Add more paprika and chilli for a spicier enchilada
- Swap the chicken for beef, pork, prawns or quorn
- Use leftover meat from your roast dinner for a quick Monday night meal
- Fill the wraps with leftover chilli con carne instead