With the miserable weather we’ve had recently, there’s nothing nicer than a warming bowl of soup for lunch. Not only is this soup deliciously sweet and cream, it’s also super easy, cheap and healthy too!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 600ml stock – made using 1 low salt chicken or vegetable oxo cubes
- 100g cream cheese – I used Philadelphia extra light
- Fry the onion, garlic and chilli for several minutes until softened
- Add the butternut squash and stock. Bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes until the butternut squash has softened
- Blend it all using a hand blender until smooth
- Stir in Philadelphia and gently heat for several minutes until it has all melted
- Season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste, then serve
Tips and Ideas:
- This soup freezes well, so portion it into sandwich boxes for other days too
- Buy prepared butternut squash if you can get it as it’s hard to cut!