Happy Pancake Day!
I started pancake day early this year with a delicious Lemon and Sugar Pancake from Platinum Pancakes at the Digbeth Dining Club. And it got me thinking of all the tasty toppings you can have on your pancakes. So if you haven’t already had some pancakes today (what are you waiting for??), then here’s some inspiration on what you could have yours with.
My Favourite Toppings:
If I have a thin, crepe-like pancake I always have the classic lemon and sugar combination. My favourite childhood memory is walking home from school everyday and stopping off at my grandparents house for some of my Nan’s amazing pancakes smothered in lots of lemon juice and sugar. She always says that I used to shout “keep them coming” to her in the kitchen whenever she asked if I wanted more too, and I’d often get through a fair few each time!
But after my parents visited Canada a few years ago and tried some Canadian-style pancakes, my Mum has always made these for us on pancake day now instead. My favourite topping is Toffee Sauce and Ice Cream and we’ll often have one (I can never manage more than one as they’re so thick!) as a Sunday evening treat after our roast dinner.
- Lemon and Sugar
- Chocolate Sauce
- Butter and Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Toffee Sauce
- Chocolate, Banana and Peanut Butter
- Bacon and Maple Syrup
- Blueberry and Maple Syrup
- Strawberries and Cream
- Banoffee – banana, toffee and whipped cream
- Strawberry Cheesecake – strawberries and whipped cream
- Lemon Cheesecake – lemon curd, lemon juice and mascarpone/cream cheese
- Lemon Meringue – lemon curd, cream and crushed meringue
- Eton Mess – strawberries, raspberries, cream and crushed meringue
- Millionaire’s Shortbread – chocolate sauce, caramel sauce and crushed shortbread
- Apple Pie – sliced apple, cinnamon and ice cream
- Sticky Toffee – toffee sauce and ice cream
- Pecan Pie – pecans and maple syrup
- Smoked Salmon, Chive and Cream Cheese
- Ham and Cheese
- Mushroom, Bacon and Cheese