Another week and another baking attempt for My Baking Adventure with The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook…and this time it was with Chocolate Brownies! And we also have the first baking fail of my recipe series too!! Texture wise they were spot on. But I decided to use milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate (as the recipe states) as my family prefer it, and this resulted in the brownie turning out pretty much tasteless! So if you give this recipe a go, make sure you use dark chocolate!!! Again the timings in the cookbook were off, and I had to bake the brownies for an extra 10-15 minutes.
- 200g milk chocolate, roughly chopped – use dark chocolate!
- 175g unsalted butter, cubed
- 325g caster sugar
- 130g plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
1. Preheat the oven to 170C or gas mark 3, and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a large bowl, using a pan of boiling water or in the microwave, until all the chocolate has melted and it is smooth
3. Once it has melted stir in the sugar until it’s fully combined, then add the flour and mix again until fully combined again
4. Stir in the eggs and mix until you get a thick, smooth batter
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake it in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the top is flaky but it’s still soft in the middle
6. Allow them to cool slightly and serve warm with ice cream. Or allow them to cool completely, sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy cold
Coming next time – Cupcakes…I haven’t decided on a flavour yet though!! I’m also heading to London on Tuesday and will of course be visiting The Hummingbird Bakery for a slice of their delicious carrot cake…all for the purpose of this recipe series, of course!!