I absolutely love burgers (as many of my reviews and my Instagram show), so at the weekend I decided to finally try and make some at home. One of the tastiest burgers I’ve had recently was a pesto, mozzarella and sunblush tomato stuffed burger at Handmade Burger Co; the filling is one of my favourite flavour combinations, so I thought I’d try to recreate something similar at home. They were so easy to make and turned out really tasty!!
Makes 3-4 Burgers
- 450-500g lean beef mince
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3-4 tsp pesto
- 2 sundried tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3-4 slices of mozzarella
- 3-4 burger buns – next time I’m going to try and find brioche buns as they’re my favourite with burgers!
1. In a large bowl, mix together the beef mince, red onion, garlic and some salt and pepper until well combined – if you find that it’s not holding it’s shape or sticking together, add 1 egg. Split the mixture into 3 or 4 equal sized meatballs
2. Take one of the meatballs and split it in half. Gently flatten it out and add 1 slice of mozzarella, 1/2 of a sundried tomato and 1 tsp of pesto into the centre. Top with the other half of the mixture, and gently press the two halves together to seal it
3. Repeat this with the remaining mixture, then fry them on a low heat for 5-7 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through
4. Mix a few teaspoons of pesto with some mayonnaise and spread this on one side of each burger buns, then top with the burgers. Serve with sweet potato fries or potato wedges and salad
Tips and Ideas:
- Use a different flavoured pesto
- Swap the mozzarella for a different cheese